Buying your first home is exciting and scary at the same time. Navigating your way through the process isn’t always straightforward.

Friends and family are often keen to offer free advice, but spending money on professional advice before you buy may save you spending a lot more money in the future fixing problems you didn’t know about.

Knowing the right questions to ask and engaging expert advice will help you make a sound investment for your future, we are here to assist.

Learn about the varied areas of Property Law and the many ways in which the legal experts at The Mount Lawyers can give you greater confidence that the decisions you make will deliver the outcomes you desire for your property purchase.

For your convenience, we have prepared some frequently asked questions; however, please contact the team if you have any further questions, and we will be happy to provide proactive, cost-effective and strategic legal advice.

What is conveyancing?

Conveyancing is the term used to describe the legal work required for completion of a property transaction – usually a sale or a purchase.

Conveyancing is the transfer of the legal title of property from one entity to another or the granting of a mortgage.

The conveyancer (legal representative) will attend to

  • Title searches – checking for any restrictions on the property, such as easements & covenants
  • Preparation of Authority and Instruction Form (A&I)
  • Ensuring all deadlines and special conditions are met
  • Attending to Bank Instructions & Mortgage Documents
  • Attending to property settlement on the due date
  • Registration of title ownership

Pre-purchase Building Inspection Reports

These are recommended to all purchasers of buildings.

LIM Report – what is it?

Land Information Memorandum (LIM) report outlines any permitted alterations to the house and the local authority zoning.

Any house built or modified since 1992 should have a code compliance certificate or a certificate of acceptance issued by the local council.

A LIM report will show

  • Whether existing works have received council consent and whether the council has any requisitions.
  • Information about matters such as soil contamination, possibility of flooding and zoning details.

The LIM can take up to 10 working days to obtain. LIM only provides information about things reported and recorded by the local council. Make sure you allow sufficient time to get a LIM when purchasing a property.

Kiwisaver Subsidy & Withdrawals

After three years of regularly contributing to Kiwisaver, you may be entitled to the Home Start grant introduced 01 April 2015. The Kiwisaver Home Start grant provides eligible first-home buyers with a grant of up to $5,000 for individuals and up to $10,000 for couples to put toward the purchase of an existing home or $10,000 for individuals and up to $20,000 for couples if purchasing a brand new home.


“Be Confident the contract is right for you.
Obtain Legal Advice before you sign the contract.”

– The Mount Lawyers – Property Law Experts